Cake decorating shows have become all the rage on TV. Think you have what it takes to try your hand at making spectacular cakes that are the talk of your parties? Well, cake decorating is just like anything else, with the right tools and some serious practice you can be on your way to making some pretty charming cakes. If cake decorating is something you are trying for the first time, you may not want to invest in a lot of different tools and accessories. However, if you feel you are ready to make the commitment, here are some cake-making supplies that will help you get a head start:
* Stand Mixer – While purchasing a stand mixer can seem like a hefty investment, if you plan to start baking frequently it is an investment you won’t regret. There are several different brands and styles, so choose one that is the easiest for you to use. A stand mixer will ensure you get perfect batter and icing every time.
* Cake Pans – Your cakes are only as good as your cake pans. If you’re just starting out, it is probably best to purchase a set of traditional sizes and shapes. The cake pans that are used most often are usually round, square and rectangle. Using quality cake pans will ensure you have the perfectly baked cake to show off your cake decorating skills.
* Cake Boards – Cake boards are the ideal solution for transporting your cake once it is completed. You can choose to buy them individually as you need them, or purchase a bundle if you plan to use them frequently. By covering your cake boards with foil, you can even reuse them after the cake is finished being eaten.
* Spatulas – For a beginning cake decorator a spatula is one of the most important tools to have. A silicone spatula is perfect for scraping batter and icing in your mixing bowl. Metal spatulas work well for icing cakes and making sure there is a smooth surface to decorate.
* Pastry Bags – In order to decorate a cake, you need pastry bags. Whether you purchase plastic, disposable ones or cloth, reusable ones is a matter of personal preference. Plastic ones make clean-up a snap and allow you to see your colors, but in the long run cloth ones will save you money.
* Decorating Tips & Couplers – To get a polished look for your cakes, invest in a small set of basic decorating tips to use with your pastry bags. Decorating tips make decorating much easier and allow you to experiment with different techniques. Couplers can help you switch between tips with ease.
* Food Color – Every great cake is made with great colors! The best way to achieve dynamic colors with your frosting is to purchase food color pastes or gels at your local craft store. They produce a stronger color than liquid food coloring ever can. Plus, color is the perfect way to hide any imperfections in your decorating.
If you are ready to invest in your cake decorating future, visit your local craft store to buy all the cake making supplies you need or sign up for a cake decorating class. Let your creativity run wild and just remember if you mess up, you can always eat the evidence!